There’s only a few reasons why I don’t think it’ll ever match the PS2 in terms of sales & success.
1) It’s too expensive!! When it’s main rival is nearly half the price, even with the benefits the PS3 offers, the majority of people will go for the cheaper equivalent.
Most people are buying a games console for gaming, not for Blu-Ray. Even with a bigger memory, I don’t think most people use even half the 80g’s. Casual gamers (& thats what most people are these days) will never use all that.
2) The games. I might be in the minority here, but none of those exclusives are games I want. Don’t get me wrong, a few of them, if they were out for 360, I might have a look at, but none of them stand out in the way some Xbox exclusives do.
Gears of War & Halo are much bigger exclusives then any PS3 exclusive.
3) The DLC & XBox Live. PS3 is not a patch on Xbox.
GTA, despite not living up to the hype, still sold millions & millions. The fact that DLC is Xbox exclusive is a massive nail in the PS3 coffin.
It’s not just GTA its the same with loads of games. Xbox online pisses all over PS3.
For all those reasons, PS3 will never be a big as a success as the PS2. It’s main rival is the better games machine at the better price.